BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

December 10, 2009

Jasper Diamond Hoodie

Today I put the finishing touches on my first sweater, the Jasper Diamond Hoodie. Yarn used is Hobby Lobby's I Love This Cotton in sage; sizing is for a 12-18 month old. A friend from undergrad, who started as my supervisor when I was in a work study program, just adopted a beautiful baby boy and this sweater is for him. The pattern can be found in Vintage Baby Knits by Kristen Rengren. Rengren has done a wonderful job of gathering together and updating vintage patterns, but I had a few problems getting started with this sweater and could have used slightly more explicit directions in a few places.

The button band was the first thing to throw me off, and thank goodness for Ravelry. For anyone else having similar interpretation problems, the button band is five stitches wide. When doing the buttonholes, as written, the pattern wasn't working for me. I kept getting an extra stitch somehow. In the end, I skipped doing the last k1, and that worked.
I found some great buttons at my LYS, which are just plain adorable and also, I hope, help celebrate Dominic's heritage (he is from Ethiopia).

The hood was the second challenge for me, as it was my first try at wrapped-stitch short rows. Rengren includes a helpful description of the process, but I had better luck with the explantion in The Knitting Answer Book, my favorite source for help. During a handy day off from work today for a blizzard I was able to get all of the seaming done and buttons attached. Chris Moose helped me model the sweater, and now all it needs is to be wrapped and put in the mail in order to be on time for Christmas.

1 comment: