BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

December 14, 2009

The Twelve Days of Christmas (Portia remix)

Saturday morning, when I woke up and was coming out of my bedroom, I noticed something on the floor in the dining room. Late last week I put up my tiny little Christmas tree and decorated it with ornaments that I figured were mostly cat safe. In my family, when my dad's side of the family got together for Christmas, instead of bows we used to put Christmas ornaments on presents we exchanged. So I have quite a collection of mostly handmade ornaments. Since most of these have made it successfully through my childhood, they've proved their hardiness. I've also collected some other ornaments of a more fragile nature - those stay safely in the ornament box until I have a place to get a real tree and they can rest safely towards the top.

Obviously, I was foolish in my beliefs that the tree would go unscathed. The thing I found on the floor? A stuffed gingerbread man, with beads for its eyes and buttons. The poor thing was soaking wet and a bit worse for wear (now that he's fully dried out, I need to reattach his eye, mouth, and a button). The rest of the tree looked okay, and I though nothing more of it.

Sunday, I find two ornaments stashed behind a trunk I have in the living room. Thankfully both are dry and still in one piece. I start to feel like there's a theme going on.

Monday? I find a mouse (catnip toy) soaking wet on the kitchen floor, after I step on it when I'm still waking up. It gets quarantined on top of the fridge in order to dry out. This particular mouse has recently been soaked several times by Portia's penchant for dunking toys in the water dish. I head off to work hoping that's the only thing I find. When I get home, three bottle caps that had previously been stacked nicely on the counter are now scattered underneath my kitchen stools. And there's a drowned angel hiding underneath the edge of the cabinets. Clearly, Portia has a plan.

So I give you the beginning of the Twelve Days of Christmas, Portia style:

On the first day of Christmas, my playful cat gave to me a soaking wet gingerbread man.

On the second day of Christmas, my savvy cat gave to me, two stashed ornaments and a soaking wet gingerbread man.

On the third day of Christmas, my brazen cat gave to me three purloined bottle caps, two stashed ornaments, and a soaking wet gingerbread man.

To be continued?

1 comment:

  1. LOVE IT! :) That is the funniest thing ever...I have a new puppy, and he hasn't touch anything on our tree...now my mother-in-laws...he managed to pull a lightbulb (a very small lightbulb) out of the tree and was carrying it around as if it was his most amazing accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete