BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

May 04, 2010

Books Make a Difference

If you're like me, books are your friends. The sight of a familiar spine sends an entire storyline straight to your brain. You can flip through a few pages and remember everything in a rush. This year I'm challenging myself to keep track of what I read, and to read what's ready and waiting for me on my giant to-be-read pile (now approaching its own bookcase). So far I'm at 42 books, or 12,095 pages. The last two months have been slow, if you can believe it - I can only imagine what the summer will bring.

Growing up, I was blessed with books. My parents started reading to us immediately, and every night before bed, we were read to or snuck a book under the covers and read to ourselves. I learned to read fairly young and never looked back. Summer reading programs and Book-It lead to thousands of books, and an English degree (and more) later I cannot imagine what my life would have been without libraries and that exposure to books early in life.

Yet many do not have that world available. Cities are shutting down libraries due to budget cuts (Philadelphia, I'm looking at you, and you won't be the last); and families need to buy food and secure housing before such luxuries as books can come into play. So I'm supporting the Books Make a Difference campaign, and by spreading the word I'm donating a book.

Happy reading everyone, and enjoy all of the wonderful worlds available.

1 comment:

  1. This is so cool. I'm going to have to write up a post and do this, too!

    I read the comments on the BlogHer post, and I don't think I could name any specific book that had an impact on me. I'd think of one, then read some more comments and realize "ooh! That one had an impact, too!" :)

    ReplyDelete